Pushbikes works towards making Birmingham and the West Midlands safer and more pleasant places to cycle and to encourage people to make more journeys by bike.
- Lobbying planners, transport representatives and opinion-formers including the media/businesses to improve facilities for cyclists.
- Raising the profile of the organisation and bike-related issues and changing people’s attitudes towards cycling – both cyclists and non cyclists Raising membership/income and support to effect these aims.
- PushBikes campaigns for safer and more convenient cycling in Birmingham encouraging people to view cycling as a real alternative to other forms of transport. It sees cycling as an enjoyable activity for people of all ages and a means of making Birmingham a better place to live for everyone.
- PushBikes lobbies local planners and politicians to improve cycling conditions in Birmingham and take cycling seriously. It aims to be involved directly in consultations over all planning projects where cycling facilities will or could be included. It also keeps abreast of national and international developments.
- PushBikes believes that cycling will play a crucial role in development of integrated transport in Birmingham.
By lobbying, campaigning and educating, PushBikes’ aim is to achieve these at the earliest opportunity:
- Increase cycling trips to 10% of non walk trips
- Creation of a 500 mile road based cycle route network
- An off-road cycle network
- 20% of pupils travelling to school by bike
- Cycle provision/priority at major junctions
- Cycle parking in (new) residences, public buildings, stations and shopping areas
- Lower speed limits – 50% of road lengths in residential areas to be 20mph. No speed limit over 30mph elsewhere
- Cycle friendly traffic calming extended in residential areas
- Car free centres – within Queensway and Convention Centre area and selected suburbs.
Telephone messages for PushBikes can be left with the FoE receptionists on 0121 632 6909 during opening hours, 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday. At other times there is an answerphone to leave a message. As noted above, it may take one or two days for the phone messages to be picked up.