Birmingham Friends of the Earth (BFoE) exists to promote positive environmental change by increasing awareness of environmental issues, campaigning and supporting small environmental projects and business.
We are currently looking for enthusiastic and interested people to help us take this vision forward by becoming part of its Management Committee.
If you feel that you have the ideas and enthusiasm to contribute to shaping BFoE’s future, please consider getting involved. (Or if you know someone who might, please pass this on.)
The Management Committee meets 6 times a year and is responsible for setting strategy and overseeing the staffing and day-to-day operations of the organisation.
If you want to find out more, please get in touch. Contact Phil Burrows on 0121 632 6909 or e-mail email@example.com
- To ensure that BFOE complies with its governing document, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that BFOE pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure that BFOE uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the organisation must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects,
no matter how worthwhile those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the management committee’s role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of BFOE.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To ensure the financial stability of the BFOE
- To protect and manage the property of the BFOE and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation’s funds
- To appoint the Warehouse Manager, determine role and monitor performance.
Each Board member should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of directors reach sound decisions. This may involve:
- Scrutinising Board papers
- Leading discussions
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives
- Other issues in which the Board member has special expertise
We are currently looking for people with the following skills:
Surveying / Construction / Property Management / Accountancy / Auditing / Bookkeeping /Financial Management / Business Development / Fundraising.
- Commitment to the concept and values of Birmingham Friends of the Earth.
- Willingness, ability and availability to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Understanding of the important legal role of a non-profit board member and the ability to carry out the role with sufficient independence and without major conflict of interest.
What Impact Will You Have?
You will be instrumental in ensuring we have the capacity to change your environment for the better and make sure that those who pollute, monopolise or despoil locally, nationally, or internationally are held accountable.
What’s In It For You?
The world is facing numerable environmental crises and we want you to join us and the global green movement in tackling them. Individually we cannot fix the earth, but together we can push things forward and rest more easily knowing that we’ve played our part in handing on a healthier planet to the next generation.